HOLY CROSS MATRICULATION
HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL
KAMARAJ NAGAR COLONY [ AMMAPET AREA ], SALEM, TAMILNADU, INDIA.
ABOUT HOLY CROSS SCHOOL, SALEM
Vision & Mission
Holy Cross Matriculation Higher Secondary School, a minority school for boys, was established by the Brothers of Holy Cross in 1963 with the sole purpose to educate in true faith, firm values and high ideals to the student community, respecting their religious sentiments and freedom of conscience.
As a Catholic School, we are working not only for the intellectual, cultural and physical development of our children from the earliest stages but also for the formation of character by inculcating sound moral principles, as Fr.Basil Antony Moreau, our founder envisaged when he said: “True education consisted in forming the hearts of the young people”. Holy Cross is part of a heritage that places equal emphasis on educating the mind and the heart.
The school views itself as part of the mission of the local diocesan church. It serves a diverse population desiring to build a community implanted in the virtues of discipline, reverence, zeal, vigilance, self -control, meekness, patience and prudence.
The school approaches its responsibilities with a worldwide perspective instilling creative thinking in students and widening their knowledge, vigilantly safeguarding them against the inroads of all deviations. The school’s mission includes helping students become active and informed citizens realizing their self-worth.
Academic excellence, moral formation and all round development are the steel frame on which every direction of the school moves. Holy Cross prides itself in offering the state of the art facilities for co-curricular and extra curricular activities paving the way for education for life and not just for the present.
When a river is more than full it will overflow and find a place in distant fields. In the same way the missionary zeal after filling the native place will try to find some other destination. In 1835, when France was under the clutches of French Revolution, one man of God, Fr. Moreau, founded a religious community to help the people. After a tumultuous period this community got a strong foothold. It was named Holy Cross. Canada was the fortunate country to receive this community and became a strong fold for this community.
Some decades ago there was an urge in this community to spread its wings to different countries. A fervent gust of missionary zeal blew some young religious to Bengal. Some of them with inexhaustible enthusiasm found a place in India. They were all far-sighted religious individuals. It was little doubted that these band of young religious would form a long-standing religious community in India. They were groping for truth in the complex Indian society. This led them to find satisfaction in the field of education. Education field was not something new to them. They had already some successful expedition into this noble field in far more developed countries.
Plato said, “The guardians of state should not know their parents.” These religious left all their kith, kin and comrades and came to this unknown, fascinating India. What is surprising is that there was real warmth and affection between these religious and the natives. Both the groups joined hand in hand to develop some schools of excellence, which could send good citizens into the social stream.
It was Divine providence that the Brothers of Holy Cross chose Salem among all other places to start a school in the year 1963 as a legacy of their hundred years of educational expertise in the west. It had a humble beginning as all the good things begin. Not even its founder would have thought that a school started with just five students would grow up to be an institution to keep 4000 students and 200 staff in its portal.
The brothers of Holy cross, the patrons of the school are part of the International family of the Congregation of Holy cross which is present in some thirteen countries all over the world catering to the pastoral, educational and other needs of the Church in particular and the world in General. The Congregation founded by Blessed Basil Antony Mary Moreau in the year 1835, continues to carry on the mission entrusted to it by its founder. The brothers of Holy cross who landed in South India in the year 1959 have contributed enormously to the faith life of the church and have made a difference in the lives of thousands of students and others in the past fifty years. Holy cross, Salem is a glaring example of the values and principles that the brothers have stood for.
The Congregation of Holy Cross consists of Brothers, Sisters and Priests.
1820 – In 1820 at Ruillie sur – Loire, Le Mans diocese, France,Fr. Jacques Dujarie founded the Brothers of St.Joseph
1835 – Upon the death of Fr. Dujarie, Fr. Basil Moreau succeeded Jacques Dujarie as the Superior of the Brothers of St. Joseph. He transferred them to a place called Holy Cross (Sainte Croix) in LeMans
1837 – On March 1st, Fr.Moreau united the priests, whom he has gathered under him, and the Brothers of St. Joseph, by the fundamental act which marks the foundation of Congregation of Holy Cross.
1852 – Holy Cross Brothers, Sisters and Priests reached Dhaka in Bangladesh.
1960 – Three French Canadian Holy Cross Brothers: Godfrey Danis, Louis Leduc and Donald Nadeau took up their residence at St. Theresa’s Industrial School, Maraveneri, Salem to establish the Holy Cross Brothers in Tamil Nadu.
1963 – Holy Cross School was started with 5 boys as the first students and Bro. Donald Nadeau as the first principal. Bro. Louis Leduc was the builder of Holy Cross School.
2008 – Notre Dame of Holy Cross School (CBSE) was started with 453 students from LKG to Std IV.